If you own a motorhome then you will need to get the right level of cover in order to protect it. Motorhomes cannot be insured by regular car insurance since they come with different risks.
A motorhome insurance policy will cover your vehicle for road risks and often includes additional types of cover such as breakdown assistance, liability claims and European cover.
Although there are many great places to get motorhome insurance online at a reasonable price, you should still take any steps you can in order to lower the cost.
With this in mind, below are some of the best ways to save money on motorhome insurance.
Insure your motorhome with your car as part of a mini fleet
Many people think that fleet insurance is only for businesses. For example taxi firms usually have some sort of taxi fleet policy to cover their vehicles. However private owners can also benefit from fleet insurance.
If you have other vehicles that use for everyday purposes in addition to your motorhome then you can benefit from mini fleet insurance. Mini fleet insurance is a special type of cover for insuring 2-5 vehicles. Getting your motorhome insured as a mini fleet along with any other vehicles you own can be a great way to cut down the cost of insurance as well as making things simpler.
Pay for your policy upfront
A very good way to save money on motorhome insurance that many people don’t even consider is to pay for your policy annually instead of monthly. This might not sound like much of a way to save money at first since you will pay more upfront. However you can negotiate a significantly lower price for the policy when you pay like this.
Use a black box
A black box is a device that records your driving performance. By providing insurance providers with proof that you’re a sensible and cautious driver you can make savings when taking out future policies. This method doesn’t appeal to everyone since it can seem intrusive but it is a great way to save money.
Get a lot of quotes
Perhaps the most obvious way to save money on motorhome insurance is by getting quotes from a lot of different providers. This is very easy to do thanks to the myriad of different insurance comparison services there are.…
If you have a motorhome as well as a car that you use for everyday purposes then there’s a good chance that you have them insured on separate policies. This makes sense since motorhomes and cars do require different types of insurance due to the different risks involved.
However what you may not be aware of is that it’s also possible to insure both your motorhome and car(s) together on what is known as multi vehicle insurance.
Multi vehicle insurance, also sometimes called a small fleet insurance policy, gives you a way to insure multiple types of vehicles under the same policy.
Benefits of multi vehicle insurance
- Save money – One of the main benefits of getting your motorhome and everyday insured on the same policy is that it might well save you money compared to insuring them separately. Of course this isn’t guaranteed since it will depend on a few factors, such as the value of your vehicles and the named drivers. However there is a good chance that multi vehicle insurance would work out cheaper.
- More convenient – Another big benefit of multi vehicle insurance is that it’s more convenient to have your vehicles on the same policy rather than insuring them separately. This not only makes it easier to manage paperwork but it’s also makes it a very quick and convenient process to make a claim.
Ways to save money
- Get a third party policy – If you want to keep costs to a minimum then getting a third party only policy is one of the best ways to do this. Although third party insurance only provides protection for other peoples’ vehicles it is a very reliable way to lower the cost of multi vehicle insurance.
- Get quotes from multiple providers – Another great way to save money on multi vehicle insurance is to get as many quotes as you can. Getting quotes from multiple providers is easier than ever to do and will ensure that you don’t overpay for a policy that you could get cheaper elsewhere.
- Pay annually – Another way to save money on your multi vehicle insurance is to pay for the policy upfront, on an annual rather than monthly basis. This might not seem like you’re saving money in the short term since you’ll have to pay more upfront but over the course of the year, you will be able to save a significant amount.
If you own horses and want to transport them safely then you need to have the right type of vehicle. A lot of people use a horse trailer, which is essentially just a large box that you tow with your regular vehicle.
However you can also use a horsebox, which is a dedicated vehicle that’s specially designed for transporting horses. If you do own a horsebox then you need to make sure you get the right type of insurance. Below are the main types of horsebox insurance as well as some ways to save money.
Types of cover
- Road risks – The minimum level of cover you’ll need to make your horsebox road legal is third party only. This will ensure that if you’re involved in a collision that you’re to blame for, then other road users will be protected. To get more protection for your own vehicle, you can get a third party, fire and theft policy; or fully comprehensive.
- Replacement vehicle – If your vehicle were to be damaged and needed to be repaired then you can get a replacement vehicle when you have this type of cover included in your policy.
- Breakdowns – As a horsebox owner, you certainly want to be prepared for breakdowns. If you don’t already have cover in place then most providers will give you the option of having it included in your policy.
- Pay annually – If you can pay for your policy annually rather than monthly then this is a very good way to make a saving on the overall cost of your horsebox insurance since most providers prefer when you are able to pay like this.
- Get a limited mileage policy – If you only use your horsebox at certain times i.e. for special events or shows, then you can get what is known as a limited mileage policy. This is where you agree with your insurance provider to stay below a certain number of miles in a given period. This is another great way you can save money on horsebox insurance.
- Shop around – One of the best ways to save money is by getting quotes from as many insurance providers as possible. This will help you to get a policy at the best price.
Owning a campervan can be quite an expense. Not only do you have the initial cost of the vehicle itself but you also have fuel, maintenance costs and insurance to pay for.
Insurance is often the biggest expense after the initial purchase of your campervan. In this guide you’ll find some excellent ways to keep the cost of your campervan insurance to a minimum.
Incidentally, if you happen to own a regular van then be sure to check out this article on how to save money on van insurance.
Get a less expensive model
One of the best ways to reduce the price you pay for your motorhome insurance is by getting a less expensive model. The total cost of the vehicle you’re insuring will always play a big role in how much you pay for your insurance so getting a more practical model will certainly help to reduce the cost significantly.
Make your campervan secure
Another way to keep your insurance costs down is by making your campervan secure. Most campervans will have an alarm and immobiliser as standard but you should also consider installing a GPS tracker. Any steps you take to make your vehicle more secure will help to lower costs.
Increase your excess
Excess is simply what you would pay if you need to make a claim. The greater your excess is, the lower the cost of your premium. Of course this is a little risky but it is a very good way to keep costs down at the beginning as is worth it if you think you’re not likely to make a claim.
Get multiple quotes
Getting quotes from different insurance providers is now easier than ever to do and is one of the best way to save money on campervan insurance. Any good insurance comparison service will enable you to get quotes from multiple insurance providers simply by filling out a form. This will allow you to easily compare them and choose the one that’s right for you.
Get a limited mileage policy
If you only use your campervan at certain times of the year then getting a limited mileage policy is another excellent way to save money on your insurance. A limited mileage policy simply requires you to stay under a given number of miles for the duration of the policy. The exact number of miles is something that you and your insurance provider agree on.…